- Fire resistant glass
- Fixings and Fasteners
- Security Glass
- Product Development & Testing
- Certification / testing
- Aluminium Systems
- PVCu Systems
DOORS, WINDOWS AND HARDWARE TESTING
Element’s UKAS-accredited door, window and hardware facility is based in Wednesbury in the United Kingdom, offering enhanced security, weathertightness, mechanical strength, durability and thermal performance of doors, windows, roller shutters and associated products. We also provide testing for security, corrosion, mechanical strength, durability and thermal performance of building hardware products.
With over 100 years of combined testing experience, Element Wednesbury has experts who sit on test standard panels to ensure we are in the best position to oﬀer a quality and up-to-date service to our clients.
DOORS AND WINDOWS TESTING
- Air permeability / air leakage testing of doors and windows under positive and negative pressure, typically up to 600Pa
- Watertightness testing under positive pressure
- Wind load testing under positive and negative pressure typically up to 4000 Pa
- Wind load testing of permeable roller shutters via inflatable bags or weights
Physical security testing
- Manual burglary attempts with typical burglary tools
- Bi-directional static / mechanical loading
- Dynamic / impact loading with 50kg steel impactor / 30kg sand bag / 50kg dual tyre impactor with varied drop height and impact energy
Mechanical strength and operational testing
- Accidental loading / abuse tests including overload, impact and distortion / deformation
- Measurement of operating forces to open and close opening element and operate hardware through applied force or torque
- Durability (repeated opening and closing) typically from 5,000 cycle to 1,000,000
- Calculation of U-value (thermal transmittance) of windows (UW), doors (UD), associated frame members (UF), glazing (UG) and opaque panels (UP)
- Inspection and verification of safety aspects of roller shutters and confirmation of lifecycle performance of fire curtains
Testing includes: Burglary attempts with typical burglary tools Bi-directional static/ mechanical loading Dynamic/ impact loading with 50kg steel impactor/ 30kg sandbag/ 50kg dual tyre impactor
Our weathertightness testing includes: Air permeability/ air leakage Watertightness Wind load Wind load of permeable roller shutters via inflatable bags or weights
Element has excellent capacity for testing: 3 window test rigs 4 single door rigs 3 double doorset/ sliding doorset test rigs 2 large-scale rigs for bifolding/ biparting or large sliding doorsets
Energy conservation is a growing concern in the current climate. We provide calculations of U-value (thermal transmittance) of doors, windows and associated products.
Through BM TRADA and Warringtonfire, we offer certification for security products. An assessment of the physical security of products is vital for compliance with regulatory requirements.
Hardware testing at Element including door hardware and operational testing, quality control, durability, corrosion resistance, U-value calculations, UV and vibration testing.
A video showing some of the door and window tests we perform at our Wednesbury Laboratory.
Element offers testing to PAS24 and other standards to assess the physical security of construction products.
Element offers testing to BS6375-1 2015 Weathertightness Testing for doors and windows
Element offers testing to PAS24 and other standards to assess the physical security of construction products. See an example of soft body impact testing in this video.
With over 100 years of combined experience, Element Wednesbury has experts who sit on standard panels to ensure we are in the best position to oﬀer a quality and up-to-date service to our clients.